Publications & Presentations:
- Lawford, K.M., Giles, A.R., & Bourgeault, I.L. (2017). Health Canada’s evacuation policy for pregnant First Nations women in Manitoba: Resignation, resilience, and resistance. Women and Birth(under review).
- Nelson, C.R., Lawford, K.M., Darling, E.K., & Otterman, V. (2016). Mental health indicators among pregnant Aboriginal women in Canada: Results from the Maternity Experiences Survey. Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention in Canada (under review).
- Lawford, K., & Giles, A.R. (2016). Kivalliq Inuit Centre boarding home and the provision of prenatal education. International Journal of Circumpolar Health , 75, 32213. doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v75.32213
- Lawford, K. (2016). Locating invisible policies: Health Canada’s evacuation policy as a case study. Atlantis: Critical Studies in Gender, Culture & Social Justice, 37, 2(2), 147-160
- Lawford, K., & Giles, A.R. (2013). Marginalization and coercion: Canada's evacuation policy for pregnant First Nations women who live on reserves in rural and remote regions. Pimatisiwin, 10(3), 327-340. (refereed)
- Lawford, K. & Giles, A. (2012). An analysis of the evacuation policy for pregnant First Nations women in Canada. AlterNative: An international journal of Indigenous peoples,8(3): 329-342.
- Smylie, J., Fell, D., Ohlsson, A., & the Joint Working Group on First Nations, Indian, Inuit, and Métis. Infant Mortality of the Canadian Perinatal Surveillance System (2010). A review of Aboriginal infant mortality rates in Canada: Striking and persistent Aboriginal/non-Aboriginal inequities. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 101, 143-148.
- Corbeil, M-C., Helwig, K., Belleau, C., Rainville, Y., & Lawford, K. (2002). Une étude des matériaux et des techniques de Jean Dallaire. Journal of the Canadian Association for Conservation, 27, 14-24.
POLICY BRIEFING NOTES
Title: Royal University Hospital Employees coercing and forcing Indigenous women to have tubal ligations.
Submitted to: Saskatoon Health Region, Government of Saskatchewan, Government of Canada
Submitted by: Holly A. McKenzie, PhD(c) (UBC), Melika Popp, Jillian Arkles Schwandt (Sexual Health Centre Saskatoon), Karen Olsen Lawford, PhD(c) (University of Ottawa), and Colleen Varcoe PhD, RN, Professor (UBC).
Date: September 21, 2016
Title: First Nations breastfeeding and Health Canada’s evacuation policy.
Submitted to: INFACT Canada
Submitted by: Karen Lawford
Date: October 27, 201